Downloading the Okra App Framework
There are a number of options for downloading the Okra App Framework,
- Using the Visual Studio Extensions
- Via NuGet
- Downloading the source code (for advanced users)
Downloading the Visual Studio Extensions
The Okra App Framework is available via a Visual Studio extension containing a number of templates based on the standard Windows Store items included with Visual Studio, but rewritten to take full advantage of the MVVM pattern.
1. From Visual Studio open the extension manager by selecting the
Tools menu and Extensions and Updates...
2. Select Online from the panel on the left hand side
3. Type "Okra" into the search box in the top right of the resulting window and press return
4. Select Windows Store MVVM Templates for the Okra App Framework from the list of search results
5. Click Download
Obtaining the Okra App Framework via NuGet
NuGet is a Visual Studio extension that makes it easy to install and update third-party libraries and tools in Visual Studio. The NuGet package manager is included in Visual Studio 2012 and is the easiest way to add the Okra App Framework to existing projects.
You can still install the Visual Studio Extension described above to take advantage of the item templates.
1. From the Visual Studio Solution Explorer window right click on the
References folder of your project and select Manage NuGet Packages…
2. Type "Okra" into the search box in the top right of the resulting window and press return
3. Select Okra App Framework from the list of search results (NB: Don't use the
(Core only) package as this does not include the MEF magic!)
4. Click Install
Downloading the Okra App Framework source code
If you wish to work directly with the Okra App Framework source code,
- The latest official release is available in the
downloads section. The complete source code will be available to download as a zip file.
- The very latest source code is available from
source control. Note that this will not be as stable as the official releases, and may change significantly before release.